Re: Best conference if you get only one?

Subject: Re: Best conference if you get only one?
From: John Garison <jpg3 -at- MEDIAONE -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 11:47:07 -0500

As one if the owners of Help University, I do have a bias as to which
conference I think is best. But the real answer to the original question
depends on the person who is looking at conferences.

As a potential conference goer, you should look first at your own
situation. What do you need to get from a conference? What would you like
to get? Are there specific topics you want to learn about? What other
things - networking, meeting people, making contacts - are important to you?

Once you know what your needs are, you should start looking at the
offerings of the conferences available to you. Do they cover the topics you
want/need? Are the speakers knowledgeable? Will you get the other amenities
you want?

Then you need to analyze what you need vs. what is available and make the
best decision for you.

This year, it may well be WinWriters. Next year, it may well be Info Online.

Hmmm... the whole thing - determine your information needs, know your
audience - sounds kinda familiar, huh?

At 03:35 PM 12/17/98 -0800, Lani Hardage wrote:
>If can go to only one a year, and you're doing mainly online help, which
>conference do you recommend?
>
>TIA,
>
>Lani Hardage
>Senior Technical Writer
>MDL Information Systems, Inc.
>San Leandro, CA 94577
>
>From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

John Garison

978-250-0334 Voice
978-244-2504 Fax

jpg3 -at- mediaone -dot- net

Program Manager - Info Online - http://www.io-conference.com
DocuMentor - Online Information Consultant -
http://people.ne.mediaone.net/jpg3/default.htm
Help University, Inc - http://www.helpuniversity.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=