Ratio of Writers to Developers

Subject: Ratio of Writers to Developers
From: Ruth Markham <Pmar8899z -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 00:39:20 EST

Listers:

How many tech writers does it take to support "x" number of developers? Is
there a generally accepted ratio? 1:5; 1:10; 1:25? Is there information
available to support these figures?

I realize there are any number of factors that can affect this (skills and
experience of the writers, number and complexity of projects, what types of
documentation the writers are producing) - just looking for some general
numbers to present to my boss.

If there are no industry numbers available, I'd be interested in hearing about
the ratio of writers to developers at your particular employer.

Please respond offline; if the results warrant it, I will post a summary of
the results.

Thank you.

Ruth Markham
Technical Writer