Re: No one reads the manuals

Subject: Re: No one reads the manuals
From: Carla Lotito <Carla_Lotito -at- BAAN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 13:55:40 -0500

Talk to people internally as well as externally, and make a user study in
your own company. If you have useful documentation, you should have internal
users.

Talk to the following people and try to get e-mails, letters, faxes, or any
other kind of response. You may need to go around the office and do a verbal
survey with people in which you ask each and every person in a specific team
the same question, but you write the answers. This may be faster, and you
will get answers. Tell them to be honest so that you can improve the
documents.

Technical support - do they use your manuals? If so, for what purpose, how
do they help or not?

Quality control - do they use your manuals? For what purpose, how do they
help or not? You'll find in many cases manuals are used for testing.

Developers - believe it or not, they do use the manuals to refresh their
memory on something, or learn a part of the software. If they are not using
them, find out why not. Do a survey in which names are not named and find
out if your documents were ever open.

Training - does training use the manuals to make training material? Find out
what their view of the manuals is, how does it help them, are documents used
in the training courses?

Sales - do they use the manuals? And why?

Of course, these are your internal users, but you probably have more users
than you think, and if your documentation adds value inside the company, it
will probably add value outside the company.

Getting information on external users may be more difficult, but try finding
out names of large numbers of users and send a survey (with some kind of
goodie to have them return the survey) of whether they know documentation
exists or not (this is crucial), and ask questions such as Have you looked
at the accompanying xyz manual? What do you like the most? What do you like
the least? You could do this survey in conjunction with some other company
activity to get support from other teams.

Start there, compile the facts, and see where it takes you...

Carla.
Carla Lotito, Technical Writer
e-mail: carla_lotito -at- baan -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=