Re: No one reads the manuals

Subject: Re: No one reads the manuals
From: AlQuin <cbon -at- WXS -dot- NL>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 23:11:48 +0100

On 22-12-1998 19:34 Suzanne Gerrior wrote:

>I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but I need some information - fast!
>
>I was just in a meeting with my boss who made this very innocent comment to
>me and my co-worker:
>
>"It must be very frustrating to be in a profession where no one reads what
>you produce."
>
>I have searched the archives and not found the type of info that I'm looking
>for. Can anyone tell me if they know "for a fact" that user's read the
>documentation (skimming is included as reading). By this I mean have you
>done a usability test, have you talked to customers. Does anyone have facts
>that I can use to back up my belief that user's do read the manuals.

My users read manuals when they NEED them: when something went wrong or
something doesn't work as expected.
That's why I crusade to design processes and products into such a
self-evident result, it can only be used as intended. Design manuals as a
life-belt additionally.
In my practice this works best.

Regards,
Kees de Bondt

AlQuin
informationflow-improvement
text
document
business communication
total quality

* Occasionally, things really do work right (Murphy's law 2)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=