Re: PDF vs. paper

Subject: Re: PDF vs. paper
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- PRODOK -dot- CH>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 03:14:22 +0100

Kathy,

PDF gets more and more uses almost every day. You might look around in the
PDF Showcase (by PDFZone) for various applications of PDF. They range from
the plain "electronic paper" to highly sophisticated interactive
applications. You will find the PDF Showcase at

http://www.pdfzone.com/resources/showcase/

Particularly the release of the Acrobat Forms 3.5 plug-in with built-in
JavaScript almost a year ago opened the door for a very wide range of new
possibilities. And from what I have seen and read, PDF may soon be the
standard format for prepress ... which is quite a bit more than just
"electronic paper".

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering AG
Technical documentation and translations, Electronic Publishing
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Phone: +41 1 700 29 21
Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch
WWW: http://www.prodok.ch/prodok

Bridging the Knowledge Gap

______________________

>A different perspective on this issue -- we supply PDF version of our
>documents along with HTML versions. The PDF versions are intended to
>allow customers to print out their own documentation, not to view the
>PDF versions online.
>
>Prior to supplying PDF, we supplied postscript, for the same purpose.
>
>I had assumed that was the primary use of PDF -- to allow users to print
>formatted documentation, across platforms -- not to provide online
>documentation.
>
>Am I confused? Do others use PDF in the same way, or do people use PDF
>for online presentation of information?
>
>Kathy

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=