Authoratative sources on pictures/text

Subject: Authoratative sources on pictures/text
From: John Posada <john -at- TDANDW -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 09:44:45 -0500

Hi, guys...hope your holidays are going well.

Anyway...I'm in the process of submitting a recommendation to management
regarding problems and issues surrounding a set of four documents. They
are trouble locating guides and quite technical (and one of the issues
addressed by our users is that they are written that way) .

One of the problems that I'm identifying is that much of the content is
better suited in graphical form rather than text form. I'm thinking
along the lines of flow charts and decision trees to guide someone
through diagnosing and repairing problems.

What I'm looking for is authoritative sources on the subject of
retention and understanding when presented with information one way or
the other.

Understand that when a person is using one of these guides, there is
already a problem and screens are flashing, buzzers are buzzing and
pagers are paging, so what may be a calm environment when being written,
whole telephone systems may be down when being read.

--
John Posada, Technical Writer
Bellcore, where Customer Satisfaction is our number one priority

them.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish,
and he will sit in a boat and smoke cigars all day."
"The only perfect document I ever created is still on my hard drive."

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=