"Substitute" Style Sheets

Subject: "Substitute" Style Sheets
From: Michelle Vina-Baltsas <Michelle_Vina-Baltsas -at- US -dot- CRAWCO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 13:13:02 -0500

Don't want to be a pest, but I haven't gotten a response related to this
note either. I thought this was a good question that would generate a
long, probably annoying thread of conversation...

As always, any help would be appreciated.

Michelle
---------------------- Forwarded by Michelle Vina-Baltsas/CRAWFORDCO/US on
12/29/98 01:20 PM ---------------------------

Michelle Vina-Baltsas
12/29/98 09:30 AM

Please respond to CN=Michelle Vina-Baltsas/O=CRAWFORDCO/C=US

To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
cc: (bcc: Michelle Vina-Baltsas/CRAWFORDCO/US)

I'm a newbie to HTML/WebHelp and have a question based on a the RoboHelp
HTML Edition User Guide- Chapter 6 Distribution & Shipping, page 206.

"When you generate WebHelp (WH) output, your custom style sheets (.CSS
files) are copied into your WebHelp folder. The WH source files include
code that handles browser detection.

Why is this important? Because your custom style sheets are only
compatible with IE 4.x. So, IE 4.x users will view WH using your custom
style sheets. Non-IE 4.x users will view WH files using a substitute style
sheet.

You have complete control over the substitute style sheet that you want WH
to use. WH offers a variety of style sheets that are compatible with
non-IE 4.0 browsers.

The information below describes the style sheet formats so you can generate
the most suitable one to use with your WH files..."

Then it lists six style sheets: WH_COLORFUL.CSS, WH_HTMLHELP.CSS,
WH_INTRANET.CSS, WH_W3_1HELP.CSS, WH_W95HELP.CSS, WH_W95SEC.CSS.

I'm confused... do "substitute" style sheets also have .CSS extentions, or
are these six styles listed above for IE 4.x only? Are there any default
custom style sheets that you can tweak or do they have to be created from
scratch?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Michelle