Re: The value of technical writers

Subject: Re: The value of technical writers
From: Lydia Wong <lydiaw -at- FPOINT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 14:52:14 -0500

Wow. I'm flabbergasted as well.

My first thought was: Does she always say things like this and does she
behave accordingly? For example, do writers never get to take classes or go
to conferences because they have no "new things to learn"? If that's the
case, then I'd probably polish my resume, because you will have a huge
uphill battle to ever get the recognition you (or the other tech writers)
deserve. (And it doesn't sound like a great place to work, in that case.)

If on the other hand you aren't treated as if these things are true, then a
meeting with your boss is at least a starting point. It sounds like she
doesn't know what is involved in what we do. It would be great if somehow
she could actually spend a day or two "shadowing" you (or better yet, just
trying to fill in for you), but this doesn't seem to be a very common
practice in most companies.

I don't know if it would be the best politics or not (not being very good at
such things), but I would certainly express my dismay at her pronouncement.
Stating that opinion before other managers really rubs salt in the wound (in
my opinion).

I think your initial response was a very good one (diplomatic, but not just
letting the matter slide), under the circumstances. Best of luck to you. It
sounds like a yucky situation.

Lydia
Lydia Wong
Technical Writer