Re: RoboHelp 7.0

Subject: Re: RoboHelp 7.0
From: Sella Rush <sellar -at- APPTECHSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 15:31:17 -0800

RoboHelp is designed strictly to produce WinHelp--online help for the
Windows operating system.

I understand you're not particularly interested in HTML, but this may be
your best option. You *can* use RoboHelp to create an HTML version (not
HTMLHelp) of online help. This is called WebHelp. I have converted Winhelp
files to "webhelp" files to run on Unix.

Please note that HTMLHelp is not cross-platform at all. HTMLhelp, a
Microsoft creation, is designed to run on IE4 *only*. (Note: when I was
exploring this several months ago, there was no IE version that could run on
Unix, only Netscape.) If you've seen any HTMLHelp files, the TOC/Index on
the left is created with an ActiveX control (strictly IE4 compatible). What
Blue Sky did was create a version of HTMLhelp, utilizing a java applet for
the TOC/Index rather than ActiveX so that it could be viewed in Navigator as
well as IE. It looks very similar to HTMLhelp.

Note: I had pretty good luck converting WinHelp files to WebHelp, although
it was not a very smooth process, mainly because I knew very little about
HTMLHelp at the time. I understand it is easier to convert to HTMLHelp
first and then to WebHelp.

Sella Rush
mailto:sellar -at- apptechsys -dot- com
Applied Technical Systems (ATS)