RoboHelp vs. RoboHTML--the names

Subject: RoboHelp vs. RoboHTML--the names
From: Sella Rush <sellar -at- APPTECHSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 15:42:53 -0800

In case anyone cares:

There's some confusion when referring to Blue Sky's Robo products.
Blue Sky puts out two separate products: RoboHelp and RoboHTML. They also
sell a package deal that combines both products plus a bunch of other stuff.
It's called RoboHelp Office, but until a few months ago it was called
WinHelp Office.

Those of us on RoboList distinguish between RH and RHTML as a matter of
course. But now, especially with the name change, "RoboHelp" is often taken
to mean the whole package.

Blue Sky is now calling RHelp "RoboHelp Classic". I'll just have to get
over my tendency to associate it with "Classic Coke".

I'd also like to note that while the Robo products do have some useful
conversion utitlities, you have to start out with a Win- or HTML-help file
to convert, which makes them particularly useful for transferring existing
help systems to other platforms. But that doesn't mean that RoboXXX is
always the best format for creating a system that is not Win or HTML help.
Also, based on personal experience and other comments on RoboList,
conversion rarely painless.

I'm not affiliated with Blue Sky, I'm just reacting to what I think was the
reason for a recent nasty note.

Sella Rush
mailto:sellar -at- apptechsys -dot- com
Applied Technical Systems (ATS)