Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 29 Dec 1998 to 30 Dec 1998

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 29 Dec 1998 to 30 Dec 1998
From: "Hyde, Barb # IHTUL" <Barb -dot- Hyde -at- TULSA -dot- CISTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 08:48:44 -0600

Sylvia,
If I understand your request correctly, you want page numbers in the
TOC for most lines, but for some (Section names, for instance), you want
only the text.

If that is correct, try it with style tags:
* Create a separate style that is used only for the headings that
should display with no page numbers.
* In the TOC options box, assign this style to a TOC level that no
other TOC entry will use.
* Check the Show page numbers option.
* Generate the TOC
* Run a macro that searches for the TOC style replace from the tab
through the paragraph mark with
a paragraph mark
Using this approach, you will need to remember to run the macro each
time you generate the TOC, but using the macro on the TOC lets me do
something similar (I delete the tab and page number for the first line and
suck the second one into the first.)

A caveat: I do this regularly with Word 6. I am just now switching
to Word 97. The Word 6 macro converted successfully and seems to work, so I
assume one that a Word 97 macro to do this can be written from scratch, but
you know what assume does!

-----
>From: Sylvia Braunstein <sbraun -at- RUGGED -dot- COM>
>Subject: Page numbering in the TOC

>My problem was not to get rid of the page number on the page
itseIf. My
>problem is that when you update the TOC, you still have a page
number
> >showing next to the heading.
> >How do I get rid of that page number (not manually). I want the heading
> >to be
> >displayed. I don't want the page number to be displayed. Even though
> >there is no number on the page, it still shows up in the TOC.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=