Re: Page numbering in the TOC

Subject: Re: Page numbering in the TOC
From: John Fleming <johnf -at- FREENET -dot- EDMONTON -dot- AB -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 14:49:55 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeroen Hendrix <jhe -at- POLYDOC -dot- COM>
Date: December 30, 1998 2:44 AM

>Sylvia,
>
>Select from the menu Insert the option Index and Tables, Select the tab
>Table of contents. This contains a checkbox called ....
>Show page numbers. Deselect this to remove the page numbers from the TOC.
>It's as simple as that.
>
>But to satisfy my curiosity: why would you do this? What good is a TOC
>without page numbers? What has the reader to gain from a long list of
>chapter titles with no reference to their location?

I may be out of my depth suggesting this, since I've never tried creating a
document of this type using a word processor.

But consider this numbering scheme.

Suppose Sylvia's document is broken up into sections by tab indices. Now if
the pages are numbered sequentially within each tab. For example, pages in
the first tab are numbered 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, etc. Those in the second tab are
numbered 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, etc.

If the word processor only gives sequentially numbered pages (1, 2, 3, 4, 5,
etc.), then page numbers for this document will have to be entered manually.
Also, the numbers in the word processor generated table of contents will
have to be removed. Generating a table of contents without page numbers
would be a time saver.

John Fleming
-
E-mail:
johnf -at- freenet -dot- edmonton -dot- ab -dot- ca

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=