Re: Costing a contract job

Subject: Re: Costing a contract job
From: Dick Schellens <richard_schellens -at- MAIL -dot- GDT1 -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 12:09:55 -0500

I would offer to do the project at a reduced rate (perhaps as low as
60% of normal) but would make sure that the client understood that
this was a special offer because you want to help out. (You don't want
to be locked into this pricing on future manuals).

I would also get a very clear definition of the project and what
constitutes "done". It is amazing how "picky" people can get when they
aren't paying for the extra work.

Good luck,

Dick Schellens
GDT, Lebanon, NH

Subject: Costing a contract job
Author: Nora Merhar <nmerhar -at- CHARLESINDUSTRIES -dot- COM> at GDT-UNIX
Date: 1/4/99 10:24 AM

I have offered to write the documentation for a software product which
can be used at dog Agility trials to calculate scores, seconds under
course time, etc., facilitate timely posting of scores and create
labels that can be put on the back of a competitor's ribbons. We are
still in very early talking stages, and the creator of the program
wants to know how much I would charge.

I don't want to charge what I have charged on previous contract jobs,
partly because this is very much a "home-grown" kind of product, and
partly because I think I would really enjoy the project. I feel I have
excellent credentials to write this kind of documentation (being both
a technical writer and an Agility competitor, and having worked at the
scoretable for several different types of Agility). IOW, I can be both
SME and user advocate! I also think it would make an excellent
portfolio item. OTOH, I don't want to charge nothing, as this could be
potentially a profitable venture, and I don't want to just hand out my
services (doesn't look professional).

So the question is this--has anyone out there been in a comparable
situation? Any creative ways to handle it? Would you charge nothing in
order to be involved with the glory of the project, and try to make
some arrangement to share in any profits? Take something in barter
(for instance, free entries to Agility trials--not sure if it's an
option, just throwing out ideas)?

Nora

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=