FW: Cross-Post: converting D2H to RoboHelp

Subject: FW: Cross-Post: converting D2H to RoboHelp
From: "Clark, Robert" <Robert -dot- Clark -at- SCHWAB -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 10:55:44 -0800

I have converted several RoboHelp projects to Doc2Help. The conversion
typically works seamlessly if common conventions for style names and
formatting are similar. Sometimes authorable buttons can get tricky and may
have to be recreated however. The safest approach is convert a copy of the
RoboHelp file, leaving the original in place as a control element, then
after the conversion of the text, open up the RoboHelp file and copy/paste
the formatting information from the authorable buttons into the Doc2Help
version of the same, by creating new buttons in the Doc2Help example.

Of course, if there are dozens and dozens of them, it becomes a time
consuming process, but during a typical conversion project you spend a great
deal of time checking every link and reference anyway to make sure all were
transferred over.

Good luck.

Sidenote: While RoboHelp is seems to be the industry standard, Doc2Help has
some interesting features including scaleable graphics (see other posts on
the list about scaling graphics) help and best of all a faster turn around
on trouble calls. I found that with RoboHelp, support is usually slow in
coming, but with Doc2Help, I would send them a fax with a detailed question
and request they return my call in a small time window. Invariably, the
phone would ring at the predesignated time and my phone support rep would
help me with the problem, even waiting while I compiled files to insure that
all went well - Invaluable when (as I was) working on very time senstitive,
large scale help files.

Regards----------

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=