HELP SYSTEM FOR BROWSER-BASED APPLICATIONS

Subject: HELP SYSTEM FOR BROWSER-BASED APPLICATIONS
From: Richard Cook <Cook-Richard -at- CDSSOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 12:08:50 -0700

Here I am going to design a help system for a set of applications we're
developing. The programs are written in Java and run inside HTML pages on a
web browser like Netscape. I am familiar with third-party products that
enable authors to produce HTML-based help, but I don't think I want to go
that route. What I would prefer is to build as much as possible into the GUI
(which we're doing), have things like pop-up tool tip information on
buttons, and have a Help button on each dialog box as it comes up that jumps
to a new page or starts a second browser session on the relevant Help page.

Anyone who has experience or ideas about this, or has seen a web-site or
other publicly available place that has a good system employing any of these
techniques, please reply.

Thanks,

Richard Cook
CDS Software, Inc.