Re: HTML, ASCII, and Homesite

Subject: Re: HTML, ASCII, and Homesite
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 15:43:02 -0700

>>>4. Different computer platforms and operating systems map high-ASCII
>>>characters differently. Just because an em dash is 151 on a Windows machine
>>>doesn't mean it's 151 everywhere else. Using an entity name rather than a
>>>number lets a browser interpret a character for its particular platform.
>>But the numbers are NOT Windows/ANSI values--they're the normative
>>values in the spec.
>
>Erm. 151, however, is undefined in HTML - on a Windows browser that uses
>Windows character mapping instead of ISO-Latin or Unicode, you may well get
>an m-dash, but it's by no means guaranteed. The correct numeric entity for
>an m-dash is &#8212; - however, as I think someone else pointed out,
>support for Unicode entities (the ones with large numeric representations)
>is pretty recent and still very spotty.

Sigh. That's what I get for not looking up that particular character.
I'll stand by my statement that the _defined_ HTML entities are browser
and platform independent, though.

>The bottom line is that it's not a good idea yet to use m- and n-dashes in
>HTML if you're concerned about compatibility - there's just no good,
>well-supported method available as yet. Ugly as it may be, the single or
>double dash will serve you better.

And test, test, test.

Eric J. Ray RayComm, Inc.
http://www.raycomm.com/ ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com

*Award-winning author of several popular computer books
*Syndicated columnist: Rays on Computing
*Technology Department Editor, _Technical Communication_

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=