Update Footer in Protected Word Form?

Subject: Update Footer in Protected Word Form?
From: Carole Thompson <tcrizzo -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 18:41:46 -0500

This question is for a Microsoft Word expert. I am trying to create a
form. One of the fields is an identifying number. The SME wants the
number to appear in the form's Footer also. I tried entering a REF in
the footer with the field's Bookmark name as the variable. Once I
protect the form, the Header and Footer are protected too. So when the
data entry person enters the identifying number, the Footer does not
update with that information.
Since the final field in the form is unlimited in size, the possibility
exists for more than one page to the form. I inserted page numbering in
the footer that also does not update. (Page 1 of 1) becomes (Page 2 of
1) on the second page when entering data.
If you can help, please feel free to answer to the list or off-line.

Thanks for your time,

Carole Thompson
Chesapeake Bay Systems, Inc.
Virginia Beach, VA