Web Robbery

Subject: Web Robbery
From: Bill Swallow/commsoft <wswallow -at- COMMSOFT -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 08:56:59 -0500

<snip>
When I created my Web pages, I did not create the browser that allows
anyone to look at source code. Having the ability to look at source code
does not give you the right to lift it and use it as your own. Netscape's
browser design does not supercede federal copyright law.
<snip>

That wasn't my point. The point was that it was the intent of the meduim.
We're using what was designed as an educational and scientific resource as
a commercial enterprise. IMHO, it sucks, but I'll be one of the last in
line to change it, unless I win the lottery and don't have to work for a
living. As far as lifting design and using it as your own, yeah it's wrong
but to what end do you say "stop, thief"? 1/3 of the sites out there have
navigation on the left hand side and a header. Half of those sites probably
use frames. Of the half that do, half probably use image links, and half of
those are probably enhanced by a mouseover effect.

If someone steals you content, that's one thing. But a list of links? Come
on! That list is no more yours than mine. It's a list of bookmarks. It's
like saying you can't quote from the same authors as me. My Robert Frost!
Mine!!!

Could this guy possibly have a point?

I have a personal website. I use it to share info with anyone who wants to
read it. I keep the design basic not to thwart thieves but to make it easy
for me to maintain. I sometimes have the pleasure to work on corporate
sites. Anything non-spectacular or non-proprietary stays public. Anything
sensitive requires authorization to view. Sometimes the whole site is
restructured or renamed daily to destroy bookmarks. Sometimes graphics are
stamped with an identifying mark in the signature info. Paranoia is to
information as the sky is to the earth.

"Life sucks. Get a f-ing helmet." -- Dennis Leary

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=