Re: Ethical Question - RESPONSE -

Subject: Re: Ethical Question - RESPONSE -
From: Kim Nylander <nylanderk -at- IPIX -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 12:17:48 -0500

On 1/6/99 12:01 PM, Bill Burns muttered:

<snip>
>Look, foax--we as professionals keep touting the idea that the documentation
>is part of the product, not just a peripheral piece. A-and we keep claiming
>that we should be as much a part of the product development team as the
>programmers and engineers. When they develop a crappy product and we simply
>document it without pointing out the problems, then we are doing are part in
>the whole scheme of crappy product development. We can't have it both ways.
>Granted, I've been in on my share of product horror stories. (Hey, I'm a
>vendor. It's part of the territory.) Part of doing your job well is learning
>how to deal with folks who DON'T do theirs well.

What do you do when capable writers and managers do take the time to
comment on projects, and are not listened to? How would you suggest
dealing with this situation:

We have a new product that our VPs are developing the product plan on.
This product is considered mission critical for 1999. The Testing & QA
and Documentation departments found out about the product this past
Monday. I was told that the product is due to ship on Jan 31, 1999. The
program is not written. The printer requires at least a week for turn
around time. I have two weeks to write the manual, proof it, prepare
camera-ready copy, and have x number of books ready for shipping by Jan
31. Many of the upper level managers have stated that this is not a
realistic schedule. The deadline stands.

*ANY* suggestions for writing a manual under these circumstances are
greatly welcome!

By the way, there is only one technical writer here.

Thanks!

Kim Nylander

Technical Writer
Interactive Pictures