Re: Release Notes

Subject: Re: Release Notes
From: John Posada <john -at- TDANDW -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 16:42:29 -0500

It reminds me of when I spent 3 days formatting a 40 page document in Frame,
handed it to the VP Engineering, and he screamed "I want it to look like a UNIX
MAN page!!". (I redefined all the C and P tags and wammo...a MAN page!)

Who are you doing the RNs for...Engineering/Development or Marketing? Yes,
Release Notes are supposed to be somewhat dry...but I've found that many people
don't know what an RN really is or the (somewhat) standard sections in it.
Unfortunately, if it is for m,arketing and the Marketing department thinks it's
a marketing tool or wants to use it as such (regardless of what they call it),
then regardless of what it is supposed to look like, you're going to have to do
it their way.

Remember...you're writing for your users, not for yourself and ALWAYS get a
signoff on the first document before devoting gobs of time on a bunch of
documents to have it kicked back..

<sigh>

John

--
John Posada, Technical Writer
Bellcore, where Customer Satisfaction is our number one priority

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=