Re: Reviews and Edits

Subject: Re: Reviews and Edits
From: "Marilyn Baldwin (mlbb -at- capgroup -dot- com)" <Marilyn_Baldwin -at- CAPGROUP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 14:41:51 -0800

Marsha Kamish wrote:

>> As I mentioned previously, I'm developing process for reviewing
>> and editing. In my still-rather-nebulous scenario, the writes
>>[sic] will edit first (perhaps using the JPL levels of edit as a
>> guide) and the programmers will review after the edits have been
>> made. The problem for me is that I want to find one word that
>> will link both editing and reviewing into one process. I've used
>> the Word thesaurus feature (ok, ok, it was just a starting
>> place!), The Synonym Finder, Miriam-Webster Thesaurus, Wordsmyth
>> English Dictionary-Thesaurus, and Roget's with no joy. Help???
>>
>> Maybes: appraisal process, assessment process,
Marsha, I'd steer clear of "appraisal process" because at many companies
this refers to PERFORMANCE appraisal - the annual employee
appraisal/performance review procedure. Might as well not create confusion
unnecessarily.

"Assessment process" does imply that something is probably being measured
against some standard, but gives no hint of what's being assessed or by
whom.

I guess I'm puzzled by why you are trying so hard to find a single word.
Our objective as tech writers should always be to clarify. What would be
wrong with "edit/review process," since that, in fact, is what it is?

Just wondering. . .

- Marilyn Baldwin
(mlbb -at- capgroup -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=