Packaging the Product

Subject: Packaging the Product
From: "Burch, Denise (CAR)" <Denise -dot- Burch -at- VW -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 17:05:11 -0600

Hello, Tech Writers,

I have an exciting project ahead of me and would like your input on the
plan. I have -- with the help of developers, analysts, project managers,
and literature -- created a software development methodology for the
company I'm contracting with. The methodology now includes templates and
will include complete instructions on implementation/execution.
Documents now exist in Word 97. Ideally, I'd like to publish the
methodology on the corporate intranet, with high interactivity (among
documents, as well as web pages) and all the necessary supporting
materials. I'm looking for input on how to make this venture user
friendly and logical in terms of structure. I have broken the
methodology down into phases, but there are other important pieces, like
coding standards, project management tool descriptions/guides, legal
issues, etc., that should be addressed. In addition, I'd like to compile
an FAQ.

Any tips on how to bring the templates online for easy user download and
how to make the information clear would be much appreciated. This will
be a lesson for me in web publishing and I'd like to make it as painless
as possible. The overall question is: how should we wrap the
deliverable? The client has asked for a development methodology that
will transcend our exit here. The trick now is how to make that package
shine.

Any and all feedback is appreciated. Please cc: burchd -at- concentric -dot- net
since I'm on Digest and am too anxious to wait a full day for responses.

Thanks,
Denise Burch
Tech Comm Consultant
burchd -at- concentric -dot- net