Re: Seeking Input On CM-Idiot Issue

Subject: Re: Seeking Input On CM-Idiot Issue
From: Gil Yaker <gyaker -at- CSC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 10:28:22 -0500

This leads into a basic question that maybe someone could answer for me. If
it's not too list worthy you can reply privately.

Why is Version Control/CM/SC so vital to a project? At two previous
companies I've worked at, the projects I've been on never had these types
of systems in place. When a new version of code was ready to be tested, the
developer just copied it on to the server to replace the older version and
we were fine. Granted, one was a team of 9 people, and the other was a
start up, but I never even learned the term CM, etc... until I came to a
large project.

That all said, maybe someone can relay a story of how being very strict
with tracking versions saved them on the job? Or also, is there any easy
way to explain how to incorporate version control while creating
documentation, other than relying on the tools MS word provides you with?
Or maybe just a good reference.

Sorry to fill the list up with such basic questions, but I really don't
know where else to ask.

Gil Yaker
gyaker -at- csc -dot- com
Computer Sciences Corporation