Re: Y2K Comments

Subject: Re: Y2K Comments
From: Scott McClare <smcclare -at- DY4 -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 15:36:03 -0500

I would dispute your distinction between "design" and "intent"; I think they
are effectively synonymous, although I'll concede that design connotes a
more detailed plan of attack (e.g. planning, flowcharting, pseudocoding,
etc.) than a mere intention ("Hmmm. The world needs Foobar for Windows").

Apart from that, you're basically right. A bug is an undesirable or
unexpected property in a system that makes it malfunction or behave
incorrectly.

>In that case, wouldn't faulty "instructions," such as "these
>two numbers for the year always have a '19' in front of them"
>be considered a bug? And if I'm wrong, what *is* the definition
>of a bug?

The instructions aren't faulty; it was a corner cut to save memory when
every bit (no pun intended) was precious. Those programmers simply never
foresaw that their hack would continue this far into the future, where
memory is abundant and cheap and those two extra bytes are insignificant.

Take care,

Scott

--
Scott McClare - Technical Writer
DY 4 Systems Inc., Kanata, Ontario, Canada

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=