Re: Nastiness

Subject: Re: Nastiness
From: Rowena Hart <rhart -at- XCERT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 15:50:57 -0800

Hi folks,

I'm not surprised that this thread was started by Brenda R.
and another newcomer today. The list goes through cycles
of nastiness throughout the year. Eric WILL put on his
list manager hat and boot offenders off the list, and follow
up by posting the list rules once again.

For newcomers: Cassandra Parker is absolutely correct
that you will find flaming, petulance, nitpicking, egotism,
and anal-retentiveness on just about any listserve you
join. You have two choices: (a) you can give up and sign
off the list forever, or (b) you can stick around, glean
information that pertains to your interests or job, and
make the list a better place by not behaving abominally
when you send out a post.

For oldtimers: Read the list rules. And maybe wait a
while before posting a contentious message to the list.
If you know you're a hothead, don't respond immediately.
Screen out emotional language. Don't try to be funny or
sarcastic. I would say this is common sense, but so
many people ignore it that it obviously isn't "common".

I'm not trying to be the "nice police", people. But I do
run out of patience when my mailbox fills up with
messages written by people who seem intent on
bickering and sniping rather than informing and
educating.

Yours not so cheerily,

Rowena

Rowena Hart Technical Writer

Xcert International Inc.
1001-701 West Georgia Street Phone: 1 (604) 640-6210
Vancouver, BC, Canada V7Y 1C6 Fax: 1 (604) 640-6220
Web: http://www.xcert.com E-mail: rhart -at- xcert -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=