Interviews

Subject: Interviews
From: Thomas Hudson <t_hudson -at- ZDNETMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 15:21:39 -0000

The biggest mistake an interviewee can make is forgetting to interview the interviewer. Do not be so intent on selling yourself that you fail to develop an understanding of the client and his or her business. Keep you eyes and ears open. The interviewing process is designed to show off the client?s best side. And when the client moves from grilling you to selling. I?m sure that some tried and true methods are fine for weeding out the truly inept, but I?m convinced there?s no surefire method for identifying just that right candidate.

Remember that employers, like you, put the best face on things, so I ALWAYS grill the grillers. I?m a good listener; many of my interviews turn into an interview of the person hiring me. Recently, I walked away from an interview having learned that the interviewer (a 15 year HR professional) went to Purdue, studied art for a short while, sang in the glee club, dabbled with theater, and much, much more. View the process as a learning opportunity.

Whenever I?m interview candidates I expect the same treatment. If the candidate is not curious, if he or she does not pepper me with GOOD questions, that?s a red flag. What is a good question? Ah! Now the game?s afoot!

---
Thomas Hudson
The Grace Group
609.268.5574

Free web-based email, anytime, anywhere!
ZDNet Mail - http://www.zdnetmail.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=