Maintaining Word Hyperlinks

Subject: Maintaining Word Hyperlinks
From: Ed Gregory <edgregory -at- HOME -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 17:00:37 -0600

I'm working on a project where we are beginning to make extensive use of
hyperlinks for online MS Word documentation. The basic facts are:
* Almost everybody in the organization worldwide - thousands of
individuals - has MS Office Pro on their desktop and access to the central
WAN, wherein the documentation directories reside.
* We control the structure of the WAN directories, down to the root level,
in which our linking documents reside
* We have been asked to link to documents we are not creating and which
reside in directories over which we do not exercise control
* Even our control could change if a senior manager leaves and the
replacement wants to establish a new directory structure

We are using absolute addresses in our hyperlinks, using UCN versus drive
letter mapping, etc.
It's been a while since I've done Web pages (since before the days of
stylesheets), but I read often about software to help Web masters maintain
their hyperlink structures.

My (hopefully) simple question is this:
Is there low-tech, low-energy package or methodology for maintaining
LAN/WAN-based hyperlinks?

I've toured Microsft site and Techwriter archives, to no avail.

Thanks in advance.

Ed Gregory
http://www.members.home.net/edgregory/search1.htm

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=