Re: Grammar tipsheet--need help developing

Subject: Re: Grammar tipsheet--need help developing
From: "Stephen C. Gillespie" <sgillespie -at- FEDEX -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 09:13:15 -0600

Doug,

Frankly, I wouldn't waste time trying to create any kind of "grammar tip
sheet" you describe, for several reasons, but mainly because I have a
shelf FULL of grammar handbooks (from my several years' teaching
writing), and not any of them agree on any two given "rules."

So, my point is, WHOSE RULES would you impose? (And please don't think
I'm "anti-rules" or anything -- I just know that nothing in English
"prescriptive" grammar is chiseled in stone.)

On the other hand, if you mean a simple list of commonly used terms,
special spellings, standard (for your company) usage, punctuation,
capitalization, etc., why not use a simple STYLE SHEET? (--even if it
becomes a multi-page document that is published, aka corp Style Guide,
which my company has)

Just a thought.

Steve Gillespie
Editor, Ground Operations