Importing graphics to FM

Subject: Importing graphics to FM
From: Sarah Alt <sarah -dot- alt -at- WHITTMAN-HART -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 15:52:08 -0600

I am converting a 700+ - page manual for a client that has a number of
different graphics and images that need to be taken care of. The files were
originally done in I-Leaf on their UNIX machines and are to be converted to
FrameMaker to be used for online manuals and with their PC's. As far as I
know, the images were created in I-Leaf, mostly consisting of lines, arcs,
arrows, etc.

Each chapter is sent electronically to us to start the conversion process.
The graphics come through unrecognizable and incomplete. However, some of
these graphics still print fine.

The latest method that we have tried to solve this problem is as follows:
1. Open the original I-Leaf file on the UNIX at the client site.
2. Locate the page with the graphic and print to .eps. Rename the .eps file
to identify the chapter and page number.
3. Save all .eps files to disk.
4. At our office, working on a laptop, open the .eps file from disk in
Illustrator.
5. Delete all text surrounding the graphic, including header and footer
lines, callouts, and captions, so that only the image is remaining on the
page. I have even gone so far as to recopy that image, pasting to new
Illustrator doc, and resaving. In either case, the file is resaved as an
Illustrator.eps file using the default settings.
6. Close the Illustrator doc.
7. In Frame, click on the appropriate anchored frame. Do a
file-import-file-copy into document for the desired Illustrator.eps file.
We are then to add the caption or callout with a separate text frame in FM.

This process is apparently working for the client and not for us. We are
all working with the same versions of each tool. I have tried exporting the
images to .cgm in Illustrator and doing the same import process and it
works beautifully for us, but doesn't print on the client's post-script
printer. The client needs the files *imported* as Illustrator.eps so that
they can easily make changes, otherwise we would just do a simple
copy/paste from Illustrator to FM.

One difference exists in the two processes: the client is able to FTP the
.eps files from the UNIX to their shared drive to be opened directly in
Illustrator for "cleaning up."

Does this transfer alone account for their ability to import in FM better
than us?
Does our saving to disk and opening in our Illustrator cause the importing
difficulties in FM?
Is there something that we can do differently on our end so that we are
touching these files only once via the same machine for both text and
graphics?

Thanks for any help that you can provide.
Please respond to sarah -dot- alt -at- whittman-hart -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=