getting contractors up to speed

Subject: getting contractors up to speed
From: Miki Magyar <MDM0857 -at- MCDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 12:51:06 -0700

Like many other tech pubs departments, we're understaffed and overworked. If we're lucky, we'll get budget for contract writers to come in and bail us out. Of course, they won't have enough lead time to learn the product, and all the staff writers are chronically buried. I'm trying to help all concerned by documenting some of the critical information that a contractor needs to get up to speed quickly. That's where you come in!

If you're a contractor - what kinds of information would be helpful? If you hire contractors, what information do you provide, and how well does it work? I suppose the flip side (any other 'age-enhanced' people remember where that phrase came from?) is to add what kinds of things get in the way of contractors doing a good job.

You may reply off-list, if you wish, and I'll summarize if there's enough interest.

Thanks -
Miki
(filed under M for 'miscellaneous')
mikim -at- ieee -dot- org