Re: When to use screen shots (was: screen dumps in books)

Subject: Re: When to use screen shots (was: screen dumps in books)
From: "Robyn M. Nace" <robyn -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 21:54:25 -0500

Personally, I used step-by-step screen shots only in a software textbook for
beginners. I admit that the biggest reason that I don't use screen shots is for
my own sanity: the UI can change, even a little bit, negating a lot of work; if
text changes, the screen shots may need to be re-laid out; in online Help,
screen shots take up a lot of space. From a user's perspective, including
screen shots in online Help can be confusing, especially in Web-based
applications; they also take a long time to load.

Generally, I think that screen shots should only be used if the UI is so
complex that a user will need to see the UI, or if the user is at a beginning
level.

--
-Robyn
"I've learned that wherever I go,