Re: Bad translations?

Subject: Re: Bad translations?
From: Bernd Hutschenreuther <Bernd -dot- Hutschenreuther -at- PREPRESS -dot- DE>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 13:16:56 +0200

As well for translations, as for new documents, it is important that the
person reviewing the documents does not only know the native language, but
also the native technical language and something about the contents.

I was glad that native English speakers proofed the texts I wrote in
English. We sat side by side, so I got hints immediately and could use them
in other documentations. Otherwise I could declare what I meant, when the
text was a little bit strange, or the proof reader did not know the
technical words.

Important for technical translations is not to translate too much.
Especially the translation of keywords, used in the program, causes much
pain afterwards, if the user, for example, types in "gehe zu" instead of
"goto" when describing a macro language.

(In some drivers there was used the translation "Bildschirm" for "Screen",
and the program did not work anymore in the German version.

Have a good morning.
Bernd

Bernd Hutschenreuther / Technical Writer
PRE PRESS GmbH Dresden / mailto:Bernd -dot- Hutschenreuther -at- prepress -dot- de
Kaethe-Kollwitz-Ufer 76 / tel: (+49) 351-31875-21
01309 Dresden, Germany / fax: (+49) 351-31875-55
Home: +49-351-8483427 ;-) mailto:Bernd -dot- Hutschenreuther -at- sz-online -dot- de

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=