Re: When to use screen shots (was: screen dumps in books)

Subject: Re: When to use screen shots (was: screen dumps in books)
From: Michele Marques <mmarques -at- CMS400 -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 09:25:50 -0500

I use many screen shots (basically, every screen of user input except for the
simplest dialog boxes, and any complex information display screens). I realize
that some of the minimalists would scream and cry at this, but I have two
(hopefully good) reasons:

#1: I am documenting software for use in manufacturing plants. While some
people are computer literate, many people only learn enough to enter the data
required on their screens. One of our trainers even went to a client where many
people had never even seen a keyboard before.

#2: Some of our customers are in an industry where their customers require
certain management procedures, including having every item on every screen
documented - which some of our customers interpret to mean they need a
screenshot of every screen.

Michele Marques
Technical Writer, CMS Manufacturing
mmarques -at- cms400 -dot- com