I flunked grammar, so ...

Subject: I flunked grammar, so ...
From: David Featherston <dfeather -at- BAAN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 10:13:55 +0100

... I need a bit of clarification from you all. How does one indicate the
possessive form of a noun? I know that for a pronoun, we're meant to use "my
your his hers its ours theirs", without apostrophes if the pronoun ends in
an "s". And if the noun is proper, we are meant to use the apostrophe -
"David's problem", for example. But what about 'ordinary' nouns, like car,
house, tree?
Should I write "The cars wheel" or "The car's wheel"? And Please, "The wheel
of the car" is too tiresome to bear repeating.

Thank(')s in advance!

David

David Featherston
Technical Writer