Top XX books for tech writers?

Subject: Top XX books for tech writers?
From: Gil Yaker <gyaker -at- CSC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 11:44:22 -0500

Since I joined this list about a month ago, it seems that at least every
other day someone posts about a reference or theory book that has proven
itself indispensable. As someone who has weakness in his wallet for books
(hmm..tech writer with that problem???) I've always looked up your
recommendations online and even purchased a few of the books.
But an idea just popped into my head - let me outright ask what people's
favorite books are.
So let me phrase it this way for kicks: which 5 or 10 books, if borrowed
from your library without the borrower asking, will infuriate you the most?

Granted it's not one of my favorite books, but when a manager 'misplaced'
my chicago manual of style, I was not pleasant to be around for the
following hours until he 'found' it for me again.

Gil Yaker
gyaker -at- csc -dot- com
Computer Sciences Corporation
Federal Black Lung Project