Line lengths, take II

Subject: Line lengths, take II
From: "Geoff Hart (by way of \"Eric J. Ray\" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>)" <ght -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 08:59:22 -0700

Jim Grey, who evidently _has_ had his morning coffee, spotted a flaw
in my recommendation <<That is, type a...z twice, measure the length,
then add 50%.>>

Jim observed that <<I'm not sure this calculation formula is quite
accurate. If you add 50% to the twice-alphabet measurement, you
actually get a thrice-alphabet measurement. You need to add 25% to
the twice-alphabet measurement to get the 2.5-alphabet measurement.>>

Gently put, and an excellent catch! This is evidently why I work with
words, not numbers. In any event, 2.5 alphabets is correct, even if
my math isn't. <g>
--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"Patience comes to those who wait."--Anon.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=