Re: Entry level pay--Question

Subject: Re: Entry level pay--Question
From: Sella Rush <sellar -at- APPTECHSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 15:47:37 -0800

In Seattle (and probably elsewhere), it really depends on your skillset.

If all you've got is an English degree and some general editing or writing
experience, you're one dime in several hundred dozen. Partly, I think,
because this level is much harder to quantify and seems to include large
numbers of wannabes who don't *really* understand what "tech writing" is.

If you've got software or other technical documentation experience, better,
but still not a sure sell.

It gets better as you add skills like online help, web authoring (above
basic HTML or Front Page), multimedia design, etc.

Near the top of the list are people with technical subject knowledge--people
who can read or program in various languages, or have a specific technical
expertise.

The only people around here who can write their own ticket are those with
demonstrated programming work experience who are also tech writers. (In
fact, in some cases I'm not real sure how important the writing is.)

Sella Rush
mailto:sellar -at- apptechsys -dot- com
Applied Technical Systems (ATS)
Bremerton, Washington