Re: Using Demos in Online Help

Subject: Re: Using Demos in Online Help
From: Todd Lemoine <lemoine -at- IONET -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 10:45:37 -0600

> 2. Is there any proof out there that this type of screen scam actually
> adds value to the documentation. Do the users really process the
> information?

At the last company I worked for, we included several ScreenCams on the CD that
complemented some of the tips in the Tip Wizard (the product at the time was
'wizard-happy' - don't ask me why). There was a neat, brief *gee-whiz* factor
to the presentations, but I don't think any real benefit was gained from them.
For the most part, the only time people might have viewed them was when the
program was starting, at which point the user was more concerned about getting
into it to get their report finished. Second, it's not as if they could
"follow along" with the demo, so I don't think they were much use there,
either. In the end, the demos were probably worth more as a marketing ploy.

> 3. Can anyone recommend a program/utility to create interactive demos,
> rather than just viewed screen cams?
>
> I'd appreciate any help I can get!
>
> Leanne Gerth
> Lone Technical Writer