Re: Powerpoint is overkill for manuals!

Subject: Re: Powerpoint is overkill for manuals!
From: John Posada <john -at- TDANDW -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 12:50:20 -0500

I posted a message before on how it might be possible to create a technical document
using PowerPoint, including examples of why the person may requested this application.

Several responses were generated from that stating how other tools have this matching
capability or that capability, based on my examples.

That wasn't my point. My point was that we know nothing of the details, the motivation,
the user community, the type of documentation, the delivery, the yada, yada, yada...yet
it has pretty much been detirmined that the tool is the wrong tool.

technical manual + PowerPoint = garbage output

Isn't that comparable to basing the qualification of the writer by what tools they use
instead of the qualification of the writer? (and we know we would NEVER do that, right?)

I don't recall anyone posing a very simple question to the person posting the original
message, yet declaring that PP was the wrong tool...

WHY?

If I don't ask developers at my company that question at LEAST 3 times in a day, I
didn't do my job to the best of my ability.

--
John Posada, Technical Writer
Bellcore, where Customer Satisfaction is our number one priority

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=