Autonumbering update, and thanks

Subject: Autonumbering update, and thanks
From: Philomena Hoopes <PHILA -at- MAIL -dot- VIPS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 14:02:59 -0500

Several days ago, I requested advice about stabilizing tabs in autonumbered
and bulleted lists in Frame. I'd like to post thanks now to the many members
who answered with suggestions and support. As I'd suspected, the problem lay
on more than one level.

The primary problem, it seemed, lay in the fact that I was importing a
Word97 file in which the autonumbering and bulleting were set up as styles.
As Gen Whitt explained, Word handles autonumbering by means of hanging
indents, while Frame uses tabs, and it seems the two methods conflict on
occasion. I removed the autoformatting from all lists in my original
documents, and imported again, with improved success.

A second problem lay in the fact that I had my first tab at the spot where
my body text began, and my second (intended to be the point at which the
bulleted or numbered text began) several points to the right. Deleting that
first tab in the list formats settled the difficulties with the new (not
imported) paragraph formats. Thanks, Barbara Philbrick, Marie Paretti and
Mark Dempsey!

Marjorie Hermansen-Eldard suggested cleaning up the Word autoformatting,
raised the issue in a regional STC meeting, and sent an Adobe representative
my way...much appreciated! Many thanks also go to Rowena Hart, Peter Kasaty,
and Skip Martin, who recommended the Framers listserv as an additional
resource. Finally, my gratitude to all who sent tips on the general
principles involved in the Autonumber feature. It's been an education!

I'm still running into conversion issues, but this question, I think, is
settled. Thank you all!

Philomena Hoopes
Phila -at- vips -dot- com <mailto:Phila -at- vips -dot- com>
(410) 832-8330 ext 845

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=