Multiple Word97 instances

Subject: Multiple Word97 instances
From: Shawn Wilson <shawn -dot- wilson -at- IDSNET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 14:53:43 -0800

I have several related problems, I think.

First, when I have Word 97 running, if I use Explorer to open a document (by
clicking on it), it usually opens the document in the current instance of
Word. I believe, however, that you can set it so that it instead opens a
new instance of Word. Does anyone know about such a setting?

Secondly, when I use Explorer to open a document, on occasion a second
instance of Word will open, rather than the document opening in the current
instance. The second starting also gives me error messages about how it
cannot attach my custom templates (I suspect that this is because the
templates are already in use by the first Word instance, but I'm not sure.)

This problem happens rarely - except when I'm starting RoboHelp 6.0. Every
time I start RoboHelp (if Word is already open) it tries to start a new
instance.

Does anyone know what can cause that?

Shawn Wilson
Technical Writer