Re: Stylerefs in Word Headers

Subject: Re: Stylerefs in Word Headers
From: "Ridder, Fred" <Fred -dot- Ridder -at- DIALOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 08:51:17 -0500

David Shennan wrote (in part):

>Our department of writers uses a Word template that has two main styles for
>new chapter headings: 'Heading 1 bold' and 'Heading 1'. Both of these
styles
>are identical on the page, but are assigned different TOC levels so they
>appear different in the table of contents.
>
>Is there anyway we can use a styleref in the header to automatically return
>that heading to the header, regardless of whether a 'Heading 1 bold' or
>'Heading 1' has been assigned? In other words, can I get a styleref field
>behave like {styleref "Heading 1" OR "Heading 1 bold"}?
>
>And if style ref can't do it, is there any other way we can automate this,
>without bookmarking every heading?

The trick is to define and apply a character style within the "Heading 1"
and
"Heading 1 bold" paragraphs and reference that *character* style in the
header.
When you select the Character option in the New Style dialog, the formatting

definition defaults to "Default Paragraph Font", which allows you to tag any

text within any paragraph completely invisibly. If, on the other hand, you
want to be able to see what you've tagged to be included in the header, you
can define the character style to display in color; if you want to get real
clever
you can also and add a macro to your template to intercept the Print
command and change the colored text to black before printing (so that it
doesn't print out as gray).

Fred Ridder ( Fred -dot- Ridder -at- Dialogic -dot- com )
Senior Technical Writer
Dialogic Corp.
Parsippany, NJ

And to keep our marketing people happy: