Re: Nasty Surprise: The Story of High-Tech Jobs

Subject: Re: Nasty Surprise: The Story of High-Tech Jobs
From: Melonie Holliman <melonie -dot- holliman -at- TXEXMTA4 -dot- AMD -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 08:16:54 -0600

Howdy,

I just experienced this same situation in Austin. I learned a few things in
the process.
One, some companies are on retainer while most are trying to get the
contract. I will
probably never let an agency who is trying to get the contract submit me
again. I
did this a few times then had the agency who already had the contract call
me.
Since I was already submitted, that contracted agency could not submit me
and
the company did not want to deal with a new agency. Often, I did not get the
job
because of the agency I used--not because of my skills.

I was also shocked by how low some companies thought they could pay--one of
the big employers in town offered me a position at just over half of what I
make
now.

Another thing, the companies themselves did not seem to know what they were
doing. I had 2 interviews with one company (one was 3 hours long); they said
I was
on the short list for a Senior Writer position. Then they decided to hire a
manager
for the department before they hired the writers (duh!). So, they started
the process
over completely after wasting a big portion of my time and their employees
time.
This type of scenario happened with at least one more company.

I ended up gettting a job back at a company I used to work for. I accepted a
lower
wage then I originally wanted since I know the people and have a short
commute.
I would never have gotten this if one of my friends had not pulled me back
in. I am
quite happy with how it worked out.

Melonie Holliman
Technical Writer
CPD, AMD

______________________________
> When I started to see job openings appear, I made my applications. Then
> again I experienced the Hurry Up and Wait Syndrome; days, weeks went by,
> and no sign of anything kicking over. I attended a career fair, in which
> all the companies who viewed my résumé said that I was "easily
> employable", but nothing else materialized from that fair. Ultimately, I
> accepted a short-term contract that admittedly paid well but was a very
> long commute from my home. I couldn't wait for the other companies to wake
> up -- and it could be that by the time they do, I'll have finished my
> contract job!
>
> I've heard people on this list speak as if jobs are there for the taking.
> What am I missing here? Never have my credentials, ability, or
> professionality come into question, but everything moves slowly. It's a
> shock to me because when I was freelancing overseas, I never had a moment
> to myself; I stopped answering the phone during the day because I couldn't
> get my work done. Is this something that is characteristic of the U.S.
> market? I find it VERY puzzling.
>
> Don't tell me that "companies have bigger fish to fry." Even if they do,
> they have to have people to do the work. I hear over and over how they
> "can't find good people," and I'm not surprised; good people aren't going
> to sit next to the phone to wait until it finally rings. I've seen
> respected companies keep candidates waiting sometimes six months or more,
> and I just don't get it.
>
> - Maury

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000