Re: Microsoft Manual of Style

Subject: Re: Microsoft Manual of Style
From: "Marie C. Paretti" <mparetti -at- RRINC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 11:00:50 -0500

At 10:22 AM 2/1/99 -0500, Lynette_Petendree wrote:
<snip>
>Has everyone out there lost there minds!! Does anyone remember when REAL
style guides were used (Chicago Manual of Style, etc.)? I hate to remind
everyone but the Microsoft Manual of Style is nothing more than a style
manual taken from an in-house technical writing department
<end snip>

I suppose it depends on what you need the style guide *for.* When it comes
to most grammar and usage questions, I agree that the Chicago Manual of
Style or a good grammar book is the place to go. But when it comes to
questions of user-interface terminology, the MS Style Guide is the first
place I turn because, for the apps I document, Bill developed the operating
system interface and most of our customers already use a number of other MS
apps. Like it or not, for our applications at least, Microsoft built the
city; they get to name the roads. I stay in sync is because our customers
already have reams of Microsoft documentation (both online and on paper)
that uses the MS terminology; it's familiar to them. To avoid confusing my
readers, more often than not I accept MS's choices.

In short, for when to use a comma, I turn to a grammar book. For what to
call that little box with a downward arrow at one end that displays a list
of choices when I click the arrow, I turn to the MS Style Guide.

IMO, style guides (including grammar books) are not absolute truth; they
are sets of rules agreed upon by people in a particular area or context
that govern standard usage *in that context.* I simply use the set of
rules that best applies to the context I'm writing in.

Marie

Marie C. Paretti, PhD
Recognition Research, Inc. (RRI)
1750 Kraft Drive, Suite 2000