Font for Memory Map Addresses

Subject: Font for Memory Map Addresses
From: Dave Neufeld <Dave_Neufeld -at- SPECTRUMSIGNAL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 11:12:43 -0800

Here's a question for others who create memory maps. What's the best way of
formatting memory map addresses?

Just about all memory maps that I've created or have seen in other data
books, use Helvetica or Arial. Some reviewers complain that the hexadecimal
addresses don't always line up due to the variable width of the font.
Because the character width for the numeric hex digits are the same,
addresses using digits 0 to 9 line up. But if a few letters -- especially
C's or D's -- are tossed into the address, then the alignment goes all to
heck.

I haven't found a viable solution yet:
* Formatting with fixed-width Courier is just ugly. I haven't seen
anyone else use it. (If you have, please send sample!)
* Even if a wonder font could solve this, I don't want to introduce a
non-standard font which would not be on other desktops or printers, and
would have to be embedded in our PDFs for distribution and printhouses.
(Courier, Helvetica, Times; boring but readable every time, platform, and
application.)
* Tweaking the character spacing of individual letters to force them
all to be the same width is cumbersome, doesn't look all that nice, and is
probably prone to disaster in the postscript output.
* Developers adamantly refuse to design memory regions or registers
that don't use the characters A to F in the addresses.

Any ideas?

David Neufeld
Technical Publications
Spectrum Signal Processing, Inc.
dave_neufeld -at- spectrumsignal -dot- com
http:\\www.spectrumsignal.com
"no matter where you go..... there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=