Re: Books on technical editing

Subject: Re: Books on technical editing
From: Howard Kaikow <kaikow -at- STANDARDS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 12:13:18 -0500

I got the following private response and was given permission to share this
with the list.

P.S. I just ordered the Rude book.
-----------------
Howard--

You've mentioned two good books that sound similar but are, I think,
different animals. Rude's book is one of the best academic books on tech
editing. The 2nd edition takes lots of current technologies into
account. Ultimately, however, it focuses on the little things--the
details of technical editing.

Tarutz's book is written from a different perspective. Rude is an
academic (and a good one). Tarutz is (was?) a tech editor. Her book
deals with the big picture of tech editing.

I've been using Tarutz for several years in a senior/grad class I teach
in tech editing. I choose it because most of my students are thinking of
working in the field. I think it gives them a better picture of what
tech editors do. She also reinforces much of current writing theory by
what she's discovered after years on the job. That seems to be more
effective for my students. I only wish it would come out in a new
edition.

I have both of them on my shelf and like both of them. If you have to
pick one, think of whether you want a book which can help with the big
picture or the details.

Good luck,

Barry Maid
bmmaid -at- ualr -dot- edu