Style manuals and knowing when to stop

Subject: Style manuals and knowing when to stop
From: Lynette Petendree <Lynette_Petendree -at- INSTINET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 13:52:17 -0500

Well, by now I would have thought that one of the list moderators would have had
the decency to kill this thread. I really never intended this insane sort of
discourse on this topic.

I was only trying to make a point or two about the over-reliance on Microsoft
for technical writing issues, and general computer issues as well. As writers
we need to consult as many sources as we need to get it right. I KNOW this
includes the Microsoft Manual of Style. I just hope that other books are
consulted and that some people see that Microsoft is not the only company out
there who has all the answers. No one software company is.

I received many interesting responses on both sides of this issue and appreciate
all the attention you have put into this (well maybe not ALL the attention). I
apologize to those whose my opinions have seemed offensive; I however will not
apologize for having those opinions or for the way I have phrased things. Part
of having an opinion is that you must know that you're going to offend some
people with it.

I urge all of us to end this thread, and am truly sorry for how far off the
course we have all blown!!

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=