Re: Appalled, eh?

Subject: Re: Appalled, eh?
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 14:20:01 -0800

At 01:48 PM 2/3/99 -0800, Andrew Plato wrote:
>Thats too bad, because at GOOD companies if you don't include a cover
>letter or samples when requested you are not even considered for
>employment. Moreover, messy and poorly formatted resumes go right in
>the trash.

Well, that depends on your definition of "good", doesn't it. See, to
me, *good* companies don't ask for such things up front and *good*
managers recognize creative and innovative solutions when they see
them.

>Unfortunately, many companies today are so desperate for people, so
>they will interview candidates who don't follow directions. When the
>next recession hits, ...

>My company hires only the best writers, programmers, etc. People who
>don't follow directions, take shortcuts, and don't do their work don't
>last long at my company any way... None of my
>consultants would even THINK of applying for a job without submitting
>EXACTLY what the advertisement asks for.

What it all boils down to, after all, is that you need to do what
you need to do to make sure that you and the company are a good
fit. I know me. I know I don't like to be micro-managed and I know
that I work better in a dynamic and creative environment. So, I
probably wouldn't be serious about applying for a job if the ad
were that detailed about the application requirements. I want a
manager that tells me to get the job done, not one that stands
over me and tells me how to do the job; so I'm far more likely
to apply for a job that just says "send resume", not one that
says "send resume via email with cover letter and samples and
and salary history".

Yeah, I hear the voices that say "when you're hard up for a job..."
and I've been there, trust me. It isn't easy to stick to your
principles when you don't know where supper for your kids will
come from. But I also know that when I've compromised it's worked
out miserably for both me and the employer. It's far better for
me to be honest with myself about my work style and how well I'll
fit in at a company.

For me, that means applying for a job my way and seeing what
response I get. And for me, that works. In the last six years,
I've been out of work for less than a week and my salary has
more than doubled.

We each must decide for ourselves. In general, tho, if you're
put off by the application requirements, you probably won't be
very happy with the job.

-Sue Gallagher http://pw1.netcom.com/~gscale/susanwg/
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com http://www.expersoft.com

The _Guide_ is definitive.
Reality is frequently inaccurate. --Douglas Adams

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=