Re: Standards, getting stuff done...

Subject: Re: Standards, getting stuff done...
From: David Castro <techwrtr -at- CRL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 13:45:19 -0800

>I am at my wit's end. I am concerned that when my contract ends, I will
>get a terrible reference because the projects aren't done. I am
>concerned that they will want to hire me full-time (they've been hinting
>about it). I am concerned that they won't hire me full-time, and then
>I'll have a crappy reference, no new job, and no job prospects.

It's been my experience that references are not the be-all and end-all in
getting another job. In fact, my experience has been quite the opposite.
I've never submitted a letter of recommendation, and I've never been asked
for personal references. I stand on the qualifications that I list on my
resume (and that I cover in a little more detail on my *cover letter* :-)
and the quality that I show in the portfolio pieces that I bring to the
interview.

So, my advice is to start now going through the documentation that you've
done for this company to look for the best examples to include in your
portfolio. Make sure that it's okay with your employer to use the
pieces...the fact that you're working on a contract actually puts you in a
good position to ask; we captive employees usually can't ask, because it
makes it look like we're looking for another job. Start compiling your
portfolio now. Start networking now, with the local STC and the myriad of
other networking avenues that have been discussed on the list in the past
(check the archives).

Being proactive about this will help alleviate some of your stress. Also,
having the portfolio prepared will help you, if you decide you do want to
stay on and they require that you interview for the permanent position (as
some larger companies require that you do).

Best of luck!

-David Castro
techwrtr -at- crl -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=