Re: Program Specific Questions....

Subject: Re: Program Specific Questions....
From: Steven Anderson <Steven -dot- Anderson -at- BRIGHTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 11:18:29 -0800

Well, the whole question of how important software usage is to being a
technical writer is a large, and often discussed in this forum (see the
archives), topic.

Personally I feel that specific tool usage questions belong in tool specific
mailing lists, not because they aren't appropriate to this forum, but
because the tool specific lists are better at giving fast, accurate answers.
Don't fool yourself into thinking that the answers posted here to software
specific questions are the final word. Often times they aren't correct, or
they only answer part of the question. On a software specific mailing list
(Frameusers is a great example) if someone posts an incorrect or incomplete
answer, a correction will quickly follow. That's not always true here.

To close this, let me quote Eric (Listowner/guru/all around good guy) Ray.
On October 1,1998, he wrote:

That said, I'm often struck by just how much effort we could
save by really understanding the technologies and tools that we use. Based
on postings to this list and others, it seems that many of the confusing
aspects of being a technical writer stem from not fully understanding the
tools and technologies we use.

Take that how you will.

Steve

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=